Re: Question about "Redline" could be off topic / Antifreeze

To: mgbob@juno.com, mg_garage@ameritech.net
Subject: Re: Question about "Redline" could be off topic / Antifreeze
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:20:25 EDT
In a message dated 8/27/02 11:31:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mgbob@juno.com
writes:

>    Is it true that ethylene glycol raises the boiling temp and lowers the
> freezing temp, but decreases the rate of heat transfer from iron to
> coolant to radiator?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Yes, that's pretty much true.  I'm not sure how much it raises the boiling
point.  The pressurized radiator cap does more to raise the boiling point.

The BEST heat transfer from coolant to metal is obtained by using pure water.
 Read all about it at the Red Line Water Wetter site.  They have graphs and
charts and everything.  http://www.redlineoil.com/products.htm and choose
Water Wetter from the box at the top, then click on the link.

In other words, don't use a higher concentration of antifreeze to water than
you need for freezing protection in the area where you keep your car.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"