RE: Question about "Redline" could be off topic / Antifreeze

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Question about "Redline" could be off topic / Antifreeze
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:40:05 -0500
>    Is it true that ethylene glycol raises the boiling temp
> and lowers the
> freezing temp, but decreases the rate of heat transfer from iron to
> coolant to radiator?

Yes.  EG only has about half the heat transfer ability of plain water.  So a
50-50 mix knocks 25% right off the top of your potential cooling capacity.
Hence the reason why those of us in the States, where we pretty much always
use an EG mix, have so many overheating problems with our LBCs.

A couple of recent Car and Driver articles covered the details of coolant
technology, and recommendations for older cars you want to keep around:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/columns/2002/june/200206_columns
_bedard.xml

and

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/columns/2002/july/200207_columns