Re: First winter, no garage

To: joseph cianciotti <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: First winter, no garage
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 20:36:52 -0500
Condensation is your enemy.

I used to cover my TR250 with a water repellent but breathable tent
canvas, and then connected two tall poles with a long bunge cord and
wedged the poles at an angle between the ground and the bumpers. I then
tented it with a plastic tarp and tied the tarp corners to concrete
blocks with bunge cords. The poles were tall enough so the plastic tarp
never touched the car. Under a heavy snow it would sag some and rest on
the car's roof, but I always brushed the snow off the next day.

If I had to do it over again, I would have covered the ground under the
car with sheet plastic and then covered that with some old pallets, and
put plywood over that. Drive the car onto the raised platform. Next
summer you can pick it all up and stash it somewhere. Keep the plywood
small and just under the car so the edges don't stick out and get wet.

Beware of ground moisture.

Never under any circumstances cover the car with plastic tarps. I
would do nothing rather than that. Everything will drip with
condensation
if you do that.

I'm sure there are more expensive and better alternatives -- like a
heated garage.

Near Binghamton NY.

Don Malling