The leather seat thread prompts a question....

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The leather seat thread prompts a question....
From: "Stuart MacMillan" <macmillan@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 18:11:45 -0800
Greetings listees,

I've been off list for awhile, but my life is still full of MGB's! I see
many of the same names are still on the list, so maybe some of you crusty
old MGBers can help me with this one.  Barney or Barrie perhaps?  (I'm
definitely old and crusty, so don't take offense!)

I have the late style reclining seats with head restraints in my '65 with
custom made seat covers that match the early style.  This compromise on
originality is an acceptable trade off for safety for me.  Now those seats
are worn out, and I'm wondering if the seat frames are actually the same
size between early and late, and if Moss's leather covers would fit.  And if
they would, which set of seat foams should I order.  (Or perhaps I should
just go with the late seat foams and a custom upholstery job.)

I've emailed Kelvin Dodd on this issue too, but I doubt that he will know. I
may be the only person who has ever asked, at least that's what customer
service said when I called Moss.

Any help would be appreciated, as well as leads on a good upholstery shop
within 200 miles of Seattle, including Canada, if I can't use the Moss kits.
The guy who did my last set back in '86 is long gone.

Thanks!

P.S.:  I've got some photos of this set up from my last restoration in 1986
if anyone would like to see them.

Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'65 MGB daily driver
'73 MGB GT awaiting restoration
'70 MGB GT (Daughter's daily driver, purchased off this list in 2001)
'64 MGB (Son's, assisting in restoration, completion target May, 2003, or at
least by the ABFM in July!)