RE: The leather seat thread prompts a question....

To: "'Don Malling'" <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: RE: The leather seat thread prompts a question....
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:11:15 -0800
> I am about 6' in height, and seem to sit higher in my '73 MGB
> than I do
> in my TR250. It feels a little too high in the '73 B. The TR250 is a
> taller car.
>
> Would I sit lower in the early frames or in the later frames, or are
> they the same?
>
> My criteria in order of importance is:
>
> 1. No head rest (easy first place)
> 2. Sit lower in the seat
> 3. 62-67 style seat covers (Moss has them for later seats)
> 4. Reclining Back (distant fourth)
>
> Are the early seat frames 62-67 or 62-68?
>
> Should I get the early frames or later frames -- maybe '68 frames if I
> don't sit lower in the 62-67 frames?
>
> The '68 seats have no head rest, but do they have the recline lever?
>
> I seem to remember reclining levers in a 67 GT I saw. Maybe they were
> not original.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don

Anyone else chime in too.

Don:

This is from playing around with early and late seats.  The seat backs on
the early seats are thinner than the late ones, so tall drivers have a bit
more room.

If you use rubber diaphragms on the later seats, you will sit very high, but
the diaphragms last much longer than the web design.

The early seats seem to sit a bit lower than the later ones.  But I havn't
had a chance to compare early newly rebuilt with late newly rebuilt with
correct web support.

The early seat frames are not very strong and the bases are prone to
cracking.  Make sure they are checked, and if necessary rewelded before use.
In a rear end collision, the early seat backs can bend and possibly
collapse.  The later frames are much stronger and incorporate a ratchet
recline mechanism.  But if safety is an issue, why are you driving a
convertible with no headrestraints? : )

The early frames do have provision for back angle adjustment, but it is
primitive by use of a pair of bolts.  Check Clausager for any reclining
early seats, I'm not aware of any, so if they exist they are probably rare.

Personally, I really like the design and feel of the early MGB seats.  With
the correct new foam, and correctly installed covers they are comfortable
and pretty supportive for my 5' 9"  170 lb frame.  In a bad rear end
collision the seat back did bend, but I evidently was supported enough to
not get damaged.

The later seats with new foam and rubber diaphragm are a bit hard for me,
but hopefully will break in.  I'll let you know more once I get my 1980 MGB
on the road.  Then I can give you an A-B comparison between my 65 B with new
original type seats and the 80 which just got treated to all new foam,
covers and rubber diaphragms.

Anyone else?

Kelvin.