Re: The leather seat thread prompts a question....

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The leather seat thread prompts a question....
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:03:16 -0800
My question would be, how new are the seats in this 73?

By all accounts, new seat foams = high seating position.

What we aren't sure about is whether that is merely in comparison to the
old, worn-out, saggy seats, or to the original intended seating height.

I suspect the latter, mainly judging from the view through the windshield.
If Abingdon intended you to sit that high, they wouldn't have placed the
windshield top rail directly in your line of vision.

I think the advice to chop off at least an inch from the seat bottom foam is
a good idea (if you're tall, that is). Using the webbing instead of the
rubber diaphragm will let the foam sag down between the frame rails for an
even lower position (just don't try to store anything under the seat --
you'll feel it).

As Kelvin noted, the early seats use adjuster bolts to set the backrest
angle. But this is not really a problem -- you find your optimum position
and leave them there. Of course, your wife would need a pillow if she wants
to drive the car (mine keeps hers on the back shelf).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149