RE: ?High and Mighty?: On or Off-Track?

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ?High and Mighty?: On or Off-Track?
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:45:28 -0600
> the SUV culture. Written by Keith Bradsher, who spent half a
> decade in Detroit as The New York Times bureau chief, the

It amazes me how much the press is fawning over Bradsher.  Oh...that's
right, he's one of them.  Bradsher brings it all together for his readers,
blending the environmentalist's hatred of SUVs because of fuel consumption,
and the class warfare aspect.

If you're a regular reader of Car and Driver, you know that they don't
particularly have a love affair with SUVs, but they're always ready to point
out the fallacies of the anti-SUV zealots (because after all, these folks
are the same kind of people who want to force your old, unsafe, polluting
car off the road as well).  Their latest issue is a comparison test of some
SUV's and they repeatedly skewer Bradsher in it.

And did anyone catch the contradiction about the insurance rates?  First he
says that other drivers are having to underwrite the costs of SUVs, which
are expensive to repair and cause more damage in crashes.  Then he says that
SUV's are driven by people...who rarely file claims.  Well, if SUV owners
rarely file claims, they can't be increasing everyone else's costs that
much.....