Re: MGB Windshield Wiper Blade Rant

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Windshield Wiper Blade Rant
From: "Chuck Renner" <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 22:48:17 -0600
> Where can I get some "good" windshield wiper blades for my '71 B? I bought
> set of spares a few years ago; and I now that I need them, I find they are
> rotted! I don't remember who I bought them from, but it was one of the two
big
> catalog dealers. I wonder if they were made from cr*ppy rubber, or maybe
just
> sat on a shelf for 30 years? After pitching these in the garbage can, I
took a
> look at my 6 year old Oldsmobile's blades. These are original have lived
out
> doors in the rain and sun the whole 6 years. They have no cracks or
> discoloration, and are just as flexible as the day they were new. Why
can't we

I honestly don't know why your Oldsmobile's blades are in such good shape.
I'd personally consider any blade that's been sitting about for a few years
to be suspect, and terribly shocked if it were still good.

Granted, they have a very strong incentive to tell you this, but wiper blade
makers suggest replacement every six months.

I've personally had good luck with Bosch Micro Edge on all my cars.  Of
course, the local auto parts places usually don't keep our size in stock
(40710 for the MGB).  Since such sizes are still available from the major
blade makers, I wouldn't think that anyone would be having these special
made as reproductions.