Re: Carburetors for MGB

To: idcb@airborne.com
Subject: Re: Carburetors for MGB
From: <baxter@gretschpages.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 20:36:15 -0400 (EDT)
> Aeseeyou@aol.com SEZ -
>
>>                                  I am really happy that I ended up
>>                                  choosing a
>> RBB especially after reading all the horror stories about keeping
the
>> SU's in  tune and synchronized. Thanks but I'll stay with my single
>> Zenith-Stromberg  it suits my driving needs perfectly..easy to start
>> and doesn't flood or choke  up.
>
> Whoever told you "horror stories" about SUs obviously didn't know
> what he was talking about.  SU carburetors are a model of
ingenious
> simplicity.  (edit)  Every time
> I look at an MG with a Weber kit on it, I think P.T. Barnum must be
> smiling in his grave.

Webers can be very nice, depending on what you want. ZS, however,
was a terrible carb, and on the B, it was used terribly... and if you want
a horror story, check out MG recalls in the 70s. Those "trouble-free" ZS
carbs were setting fire to cars. It wasn't enough that they emasculated
the B, they had to burn it down, too.
Anyway, various Webers definitely have uses for various folks. It
depends on your needs and desires. I do agree, though, that SUs are
probably the best all-rounders for most folks.