RE: Here's your chance

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Here's your chance
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 14:55:31 -0500
> sold off MGR, there wasn't enough money or time left to reengineer the
> car to meet US regulations. However, I have been assured by
> the factory
> execs that the next generation of car WILL be engineered from the
> beginning to be a "world" car. There is no doubt that MGR wants to
> return to this market. But it will be done with a car which
> is designed
> to meet our standards, our perceived value, and the competition in the
> North American market - and WIN!

And even if the current MG models could meet US regs, there are plenty
of other issues involved.  They'd have to roll out a dealer and service
network.  There were apparently potential legal landmines out there as
well from dealers who were previous MG shops.

I also recall a statement to the effect that the fact that the US was
MG's largest market is also the reason they couldn't sell them here.
They simply didn't have the resources to produce the cars in sufficient
volume at that point to make an economic go of it in the US.