Re: Painting at different times

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Painting at different times
From: "M Brooks" <mike@gsta.net>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 10:16:47 -0400
Kendel,

There's always a chance with any paint system that if you paint different
parts of the same car at two different times they may look different,
however slightly. There are just so many variables in applying paint.
Especially if you don't use the originally mixed paint the second time -
like if it didn't last in the can and you have to have the paint store mix a
new batch.

That being said, you'll probably feel better about the car while you're
driving it (and waiting to paint the whole car) if you do paint the door. If
you don't, everytime you walk up to it you'll be annoyed about that darn
primered door. I've had so many old cars (LBC and otherwise) that need some
minor bodywork or paint on a panel and I always told myself "I'm gonna
paint/restore the whole car anyway so why mess with that one thing?"
Something always comes up and the new paint job is put off and I'm still
driving the car with primered fender or a dent. After all these years I've
finally learned my lesson. Trust me, you'll fell better if you paint that
door even if you have to paint it again when you do the whole car ;-)

~Mike Brooks

> To get my GT on the road, I need to put on a new door.  The replacement
door is in slightly rusty primer right now, so it needs to be painted.  I'm
wondering whether to just paint it so I can drive the car while working the
rest of the bodywork for immediate gratification, or wait to do the whole
car at once; which might be a year away.