RE: optimal oil cooler position

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: optimal oil cooler position
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:32:26 -0500
> Speaking of the oil cooler, I read some where that the oil
> cooler was an
> option in England. Is this true? If so, I'd like to get a hold of a
> non-oil-cooler B series engine. It's not that I want my oil
> to be hot, I
> just don't trust hoses. I've had dismal luck with hoses, both
> oil and water,
> on my MGB. I figure any advantage the oil cooler gives, is
> far outweighed by
> the risk of the oil cooler hoses leaking.

There's no difference in the engine.  In fact, the RBB cars here didn't
normally include an oil cooler.

A car with oil cooler has a hose from the port at the rear of the block
to the cooler, and another from the filter housing to the cooler.  Those
that didn't have a cooler used a bypass that went directly from the port
to the filter housing.

Look in the Moss catalog on the pages with the oil filter housings, and
you'll see the bypass.  The inverted cannister type used a rubber hose,
so you probably wouldn't want that, if you're hose-shy.

But the later cars also used the rigid line, so unless the block mount
changed, you should be able to pull a screw-on filter housing and the
rigid pipe from a late car.