Crank and bearing advice

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Crank and bearing advice
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:55:50 -0700
I recently started using Armando Ayala of CCR (Custom? Crankshaft
Repair 650-364-1747) in redwood city for crank work. When I asked my
regular machinist about him, Gary said "I've heard nothing but good
about him". He was also the crank shop reccomended by Dema Elgin.

I just picked up my reworked crankshaft from Armando and asked him
about various things.

He ground the journals a little tight versus the specs. He said that
it'll help keep the crank from pounding the bearings so hard. He says
that the ideal clearance is:
mains: .0018-.002
rods:  .0015-.0018

That I should use a thinner oil than originally reccomended: 5w30 and
reccomends redline.

I asked him about bearings and he reccomended:
acl bearings (MG is on page 268 of the 2001 catalogue)
part#
5m2255  main
4b2250  rod
2t2252  thrust

They spec the bearings in mm, which differ by about .0005 (half a
thou) from bearings specified in inches.

warehouse 916-920-2221
acl 800-241-3498
acl la 213-746-6952/53
800-584-1869