Re: Distributor repair

To: "Charles & Peggy Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com>, <WSpohn4@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Distributor repair
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 16:06:01 -0400
> Bill,
>
>    Wiggle how you will, the fact is that you said electronic
> triggering offer no performance or reliability improvements.
>  Bull, sir.
>
>    Cheers,
>
>     CR

No, I said that.  Bill reinforced a few of my comments and disagreed about
using points at extreme high RPM because of points bounce.  I will agree
with that.

My comments were directly related to Pertronix ignition units in their
standard form, specifically when coupled with a new 45D4 distributor.  I
believe the 45D4, if memory serves, has an asymmetric cam lobe so that the
points open rapidly and close much more gently.  By doing so Lucas has
managed to eliminate points bounce in all reasonable rev ranges.  The 45D4
is a very good, nearly bullet-proof distributor.

Now if you want to put a plastic piece of crap, like the Pertronix, on a
45D4 distributor and spend $75 in the process for something you will see
little benefit from, fine.  When my employer sold Pertronix units over a 6
month period, before withdrawing them from the product line, we had a 30%
return rate.  Additionally, during that same period, Pertronix reduced their
product guarantee from 36 months to 30 months.  My TR6 was a test bed for a
unit, and it offered no real world benefit and reliability was poor as I had
to have the magnetic collar replaced because two of the magnets were of the
wrong polarity.  My distributor was freshly a rebuilt unit with new bushes,
as I had altered the mechanical advance curve to suit my needs.

Let me make this as clear as possible, the only real benefit of the
Pertronix is for lazy people who do not want to be bothered with maintaining
their ignition systems.  If you want to play Russian Roulette and take a
chance on these things, be my guest, but I would advise you to carry good
old points and condenser in your glove box.

Now if you want to talk about an MSD box or Crane ignitions, yes, they will
offer the opportunity for benefit, especially as your performance needs
increase.  They are also produced to much higher standards and do not have
magnetic phasing problems or polarity problems with the magnetic collar.

Of course you can add a Pertronix rev limiter and a Pertronix multi spark
discharge ignition in addition to your Pertronix trigger unit and you'll
have spent MORE than a decent MSD or Crane box.  I will not contest that
electronic ignitions can offer a benefit, but when the concept and the
quality of the unit is poor, then you will probably have spent money for
nothing.

Kai