Re: If you were designing your ultimate toolbox for the

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Subject: Re: If you were designing your ultimate toolbox for the
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:08:40 -0700
On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 10:25:46PM -0500, Barney Gaylord wrote:
> And I still refuse to add either cell phone or AAA card to the tool list,
> neither of which has ever been a necessity since before they ever
> existed.  Those things don't fix cars, they just cause additional delay
> while you wait for someone else to come to do the fix which you should be
> doing yourself.  If you believe you have some other use for those items,
> that's fine, just don't try to call them repair tools.

You're right, they aren't repair tools, they're the ultimately compact
"oh shit kit". There are times that I would rather spend a little more
time, getting a tow from AAA so that I can fix the problem in the
comfort of my own garage, with my full panalopy of tools, spares, goo,
and short walk to my refrigerator rather than lying in the dirt on the
side of the road.

When it comes right down to it, I don't even need those, I could
always hitchike home and grab the van and trailer and fetch the car
myself. I've had AAA since 1976 and it has repeatedly proven to be
worth the money. Being able to deal with car registration and only
having to wait in the short line at AAA rather than the horrendous
lines at DMV is worth a big chunk of that money right there. And every
so often, I do something stupid like locking my keys in the car, or
leaving my lights on and running the battery down, or misguage the
range on my fuel tank by 5 miles and the free locksmithing, jump
start, or gallon of gas is a big help.

Sure, if I were smart, I wouldn't ever have use of AAA, apart from
free maps and shorter lines when registering cars. But then, I'd also
probably drive something sensible like a Saturn or a Camry.

--
                   Girling is not a verb.