Re: Sebring valance, Part 1

To: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>, Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Re: Sebring valance, Part 1
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:30:04 -0700 (PDT)
> And, I gotta agree, the valence looks
> great! So that's a no front bumper
> conversion?

Correctamundo.  I've had a couple of posts asking me
about the legality of running on the street with no
front bumper, and I don't have an answer for that yet.
 My guess is that it's technically not legal, but I
will know for sure soon because my B is due for its
state safety inspection here very shortly.  The
valance looks pretty well integrated as is (even
better that it looks like in the pictures) so I'm
sorta hoping that they think that's the way it came.
I mean, it's not a Camaro, so I doubt any of the
inspectors here in North Carolina are even going to
know what my car is, much less what kind of front
valance it was supposed to have come originally with.

You can get away with a lot on these cars, because no
one knows what they are supposed to look like.  I
remember trying to get my 1963 MGB through a Virginia
State inspection and having to explain very carefully
why it didn't have reverse lamps...  Oh, and best of
all:  I once got a reckless driving ticket in that
1963 B for having five people packed in the car (hey,
I was young... and three of them were girls...).  But
I beat it in court by convincing the judge that the
"jump seat" was a legitimate rear passenger seat.
Hah!  I had enlarged pictures on easels and excerpts
from restoration manuals and everything!  It was like
something from the movie Animal House.

"Relax, I'm pre-law."

So I'm not too worried about the valance.  Plus, the
swap is so easy, if worse comes to worst, I'll just
throw the stock bumper back on for an hour, get it
inspected, and then swap it back out again.

Cheers,

=====
Paul Misencik
1971 MGB Vintage Race Project