airbox design

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: airbox design
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 02:16:59 -0400
Gents, this is a query that I put to the v8 list but I did not get any
some insight.  This is on my V8.

I am using ram air induction via cutting out the front of the bulge on a
repro MGC bonnet that is ducted to a custom airbox over the 4bbl carb.  The
airbox consists of an outer area used to channel the air from the single
inlet all the way around a 14" aircleaner.  The aircleaner is mounted on a
1" drop base mounting plate which fits over the inlet to the carb.  Since
the whole system is sealed, all air through the filter is funneled to the
inlet of the carb and none of the air from the engine bay is being consumed
by the engine.  Because the filter is on a drop base housing, and because of
the configuration of the valve covers this leaves the carburetor body in a
pocket of stagnant hot air, as a result of this I have some problems with
heat induced drivability issues and fuel percolation.

My desire is to reconfigure the airbox to include the carburetor body into
it, this would aid in its cooling but I would be giving up the current
filter base that directs air to the carburetor inlet.  What this would leave
me with is a carburetor sitting in a volume of filtered air, drawing without
the benefit of anything mechanical funneling air into it.

My question is this:  would this change adversely alter the airflow
characteristics of the system or hurt airflow, power, or drivability?  I'm
not looking for specifics since that would require flow bench tests with my
specific airbox, but I am interested in any advise or experience that could
aid in the decision making process.

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer
71 MGBGT V8