RE: MGB Front Springs

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>,
Subject: RE: MGB Front Springs
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:47:05 -0700
In a moment of extreme enthusiasm I had my springs powder coated - all sets
( I acquired a couple of sets and bought a new set of 264-390s).  I
installed what I thought were the right ones (new) on my 1970 MGB GT but it
sits high with Rover V8 already installed.  How do I measure the loose
springs to see if I put the wrong ones in???

At 09:23 AM 8/20/2003 -0700, Dodd, Kelvin wrote:
>Mark:
>
>The 264-385 spring is shorter and stiffer (480 lb/in) than a standard early
>B spring (348 lb/in -73, 372 lb/in 73-74).
>
>Installing the 264-385 on a rubber bumper car will drop the nose about 1.5"
>from original height (assuming good original springs).  This gets the car
>pretty close to CB height, but with a spring stiff enough for the extra
>weight of the bumper and the limited suspension travel.
>
>If you want to experiment on the cheap, you might try installing a pair of
>used MGB GT front springs.  These were originally rated at 480 lb/in and may
>work pretty well as a lowering spring for the RB car.  I havn't tried this
>on a RB car, but it was the hot ticket for improving a CB car back when I
>first started playing with Bs.
>

>Kelvin.
>

> > Is there any difference (other than cost...) between the
> > 'lowering' springs
> > at Moss (#264-385) compared to springs from an early B??
> >
> > $120 seems a bit steep compared to $10-$20 (ebay). I've spent
> > a few dimes
> > thru Moss and the wife is starting to get wise...
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mark l
> >
> > 79B

Regards