Re: How to best clean twin SU carbs?

To: "Tab Julius" <tab@penworks.com>
Subject: Re: How to best clean twin SU carbs?
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:31:16 +0100
Only ignition LT problems cause the tach to flick, HT problems don't.  If
you can reproduce the problem in the driveway then hook up a timing light
(12v with inductive pick-up type) to the coil lead and each plug lead and
see if you can spot any irregularity in the flashes that coincide with a
misfire.  Then remove a fuel feed pipe from a carb - there will be a spurt
of fuel if the ignition has been on recently - and direct it into a
container and switch on the ignition.  The pump (assuming SU) should
kerchunk-kerchunk regularly and deliver at least one pint of fuel in 30
secs.  Does pulling the choke out clear it?  If so then it does sound like
fuel, although this can mask some ignition problems too.

PaulH.