Re: Engine & Tranny out - Now what

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine & Tranny out - Now what
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 13:17:08 -0700
on 10/7/03 11:26 AM, Jason Spaeth at jasonspaeth@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi List:
>
> I have the engine and transmission removed (as one unit) from my chrome
> bumper 74 MGB so that I can send the shell to the paint shop.  It runs and
> shifts fine but I am wondering what types of things I should do/ freshen up
> 'while I've got it out'.  I already plan to repaint the engine so I figured
> I would remove accessories and plates/covers and replace associated
> gaskets/seals.  Any recommendations of other things to do while it is out?
>
> While the clutch seems to work fine, I was thinking that I should maybe get
> the replacement kit since I don't know how old the current clutch is.

I highly recommend this. While you're at it you can inspect the rear main
seal and tranny input seal. The cost of clutch parts is cheap insurance for
not having to pull the engine again anytime soon.

> Also, would you recommend keeping the engine and tranny together upon
> putting it back in the car?  I am worried about scratching my new paint when
> I go to put it back in.  I am wondering if separating them might be the way
> to go as it could give a little more room and may make the job easier?

I recommend keeping them together. You can drape the fenders and cowl with
mover's pads to protect them. The problem with putting them in separately is
that it can be devilishly tricky to get the output shaft aligned when
dangling the engine on the hoist, in the cramped quarters of the engine
compartment. It can also be difficult to start and tighten the bell housing
bolts.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149