Re: Fw: Re; Emssions controls, or their lack of

To: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: Re; Emssions controls, or their lack of
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:22:05 -0700
This subject needs expert analysis.  I just cannot believe that the air
pump results in an after burn as this would mean very hot exhaust pipes and
presumably a noticeable belching out of flames.  A simple test to see if
there was any oxygen left in the exhaust of a non-air pumped car would be a
start.  This would mean the air pump was not doing anything more than
adding more air and thus being useless!   Anyone got the means to test
exhaust gases?  The spontaneous burn-off seems unlikely as there is no
ignition and no compression.   If there is unburnt fuel just looking to go
whosh then what happens when you put a match to the exhaust of a non-pumped
car.  Do you get a burn???  Seems that if you do, putting a spark plug on
your tail pipe may be fun....Mummy, look at that car go.....

At 04:27 PM 10/17/2003 -0700, David Breneman wrote:
>Richard Poole SEZ -
> > >From what I've read, all it does is dilute the pollutants by pumping more
> > fresh air into the exhaust...add water to mud you get thinner mud.
>

>No, the oxygen promotes ignition of unburned combustion byproducts.
>Most of the oxygen in the cylinders is consumed during the power
>stroke.  The exhaust gasses are hot enough to spontaneously burn off
>a lot of the "mud" while it's still in the exhaust manifold; just add
>oxygen.
>

>--
>David Breneman
>Distributed Systems Software Analyst