RE: Re; Emssions controls, or their lack of

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Re; Emssions controls, or their lack of
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:42:09 -0500
> Huh, that seems inefficient. If you're going to go to the trouble of
> installing a valve, why not a pump pulley clutch, to avoid
> pumping losses?
> In the cheap, crude MG system, I'm not surprised, but you'd
> think Jaguar
> could afford to do it properly.

Jaguar could afford very little in the dark days of BL control and
subsequently as an independent company again.  Most ancillary devices
were sourced from existing items, rather than purpose made.  So while
I'm not sure of the source of the air pump, I'm sure it was simpler and
cheaper to throw in a diverter valve.