RE: Inevitable and probably over-asked tire questions

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Inevitable and probably over-asked tire questions
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:50:40 -0700
Paul:

Before you go any further with your car, check with the racing group you plan
to race with.  Many have different categories depending on the modifications to
the car.  It makes no sense to build a car on wire wheels as a streetable race
car, then find one thing you did kicks you into the unlimited class where you
are running against all out race cars.  Some groups limit tire sizes in these
categories.

I havn't come up with the definitive wire wheel tire size yet.  Personally I
think the 185/70 is wider than optimum and tends to roll on the wheel, but
others are happy with the choice.  I'm running 185/60 tires on my Minilites,
but used to run 195/60 tires on the 5.5" wire wheels I used to run.  I'm
interested in hearing input from others that are running the 4.5" wire wheel in
competition.  I think you will find that most people on wires have followed the
factory, which installed 5.5" wire wheels on the competition cars early on.

Kelvin.