Re: MC rebuild vs. replace

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MC rebuild vs. replace
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:30:09 -0500
Don, I'm copying this to the list to clear up any ambiguity that anyone else
might have.

The problem with the brake MC seems to be that either the bore does not wear
evenly or the pistons wear out.  I suspect it is the pistons, as they always
seem to have polished edges where they seem to be riding in the bore.  I
have had luck rebuilding low mileage MCs with clean bores but have had no
luck rebuilding high mileage units that have started to leak by wearing out
due to use.  The magic number seems to fall in the vicinity of 75k miles but
who knows what other factors play in.

The seal kits work fine on good condition low mileage MCs but there are
fewer and fewer left.  I rebuilt one low mileage unit and got eight years
out of it in my daily driver before it wore out, then rebuilds did not work.
I tried swapping in low mileage pistons and that worked in the one instance
I tried it, but new pistons aren't available.

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer
71 MGBGT V8
85 Dodge Ram