Re: Heater valve

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrier@bconnex.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Heater valve
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:24:04 -0000
I have to say that the OE valves on both my cars, and a recent replacement
to the roadster, give the same output that Bob Munch achieved *after* his
mod, and at a lower ambient.  The internals differ slightly to how Bob
describes his in that the tapered pin on mine has no washers or spring clip
at all.  Having a washer and clip *will* tend to restrict flow through the
small aperture, and fitting lots of washers will tend to compensate for this
by lifting the main part of the valve open much more than usual.  But in
doing so it moves the rubber diaphragm more than usual so it may not last as
long if you are in a temperate climate like the UK where you frequently open
and close the heat control.  By not having any washer at all it is my
contention that not only do you get more flow at moderate diaphragm
openings, but in the closing half of diaphragm movement the main opening is
closed and the tapered pin gives a gradual control of the small opening
making it much easier to make fine adjustments to heater output.

PaulH.