Re: MGB Metal dash question

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Metal dash question
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:08:22 -0600
Don Malling wrote:
> The '68 Canadian MKII cars came with a metal dash. The European MKII
> came with a metal dash until about 74 maybe? Not sure -- the early 70's
> anyway.
>
> So it's not so clear to me how it is a bastardization.
>
> What is your opinion of putting a Moss supercharger in an MGB? How about
> a Rover V8 in a roadster? (I think they only came in GT's?). How about
> rear tube shocks?  How about rubber bumper to chrome bumper conversion.
> Maybe a wooden steering wheel? None of those things ever existed as
> production items. Where does it end? Who draws the line and where?

If I had any money, and I don't, the supercharger or a V8 would be very
tempting. And I'd like a wooden steering wheel, I think. I really liked
the one on my boss's Miata. I don't think I'd do the chrome bumpers, but
there are some cool looking replacement bumpers that let you put a real
grill in. I've already put Miata seats with speakers in the car.

That's just me, though. It's my car, I'll do with it what I want, err
can afford. :-) I'm not too concerned with resale value, as I doubt I'll
ever sell it. I'd love to get any number of other cars. A Miata would be
a fine 'get in and drive it, never having to tinker' car. A new 350Z
convertible, would be the current dream. And the more money than sense
dream remains a DB4 Zagato. Then there's the other 'never going to
happen dream' of buying Paul Hunt's V8GT and importing it, when he's
done with it. :-)

But making the B 'better' is my real future. Who knows where that's
going to go.

I think eBay is showing us that someone will buy almost anything at the
right price.

> I have a 68-74 BMH body shell. I have to build something on it. I
> believe I will have an authentic '68 Canadian spec MKII when I'm done --
> Oooppps except for the Moss Supercharger -- now I will agree with you
> there, that is a bastardization -- don't you agree? :-)

Sounds like it will be a nice car.

> I think it's really a question of whether you like the pillow dash or
> not. Lots of people like the metal dash. For some reason the MKII's in
> England and Europe had the metal dash into the early 70's. Wonder why....

I'd go with it was cheaper than the pillow.

--
                                 ______
Paul T. Root <proot@iaces.com> /    _ \