Re: MGB Metal dash question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Metal dash question
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:16:15 -0800 (PST)
Don Malling SEZ -

> The '68 Canadian MKII cars came with a metal dash. The European MKII
> came with a metal dash until about 74 maybe? Not sure -- the early 70's
> anyway.
>
> So it's not so clear to me how it is a bastardization.

To convert a post-68 car to a "reproduction metal dash car" you need
make a lot of sheet metal changes.  This isn't just a bolt-on modification
like adding a supercharger or custom steering wheel.  This is changing
the structure of the car.  That's what I consider kludgey.  Like I said,
you can do anything with your car you want.  Make it a lowrider or a
4 wheel drive (I once saw a Spitfire body on a Japanese pickup frame
with huge offroad tires).  But I don't consider such changes improvements.
Just changes, and rather dubious ones in my personal opinion.

> What is your opinion of putting a Moss supercharger in an MGB? How about
> a Rover V8 in a roadster? (I think they only came in GT's?).

I don't care for the "home made" V8s either, for the same reason.
And with those you run the risk that some day some guy is going to
buy one of those thinking it's a real MGB V8, only to later discover
he's got somebody's hobby project.

>                                                              How about
> rear tube shocks?

To me it makes about as much sense as a Weber conversion.  There
may be some advantage if you're racing the car, but race cars can
be heavily modified in any event.  Doesn't seem to make much sense
for a street car.  I'd never buy one that had been so modified.

>                    How about rubber bumper to chrome bumper conversion.

Why not just buy a chrome bumper car if that's what you want?

> Maybe a wooden steering wheel? None of those things ever existed as
> production items. Where does it end? Who draws the line and where?

I draw the line for me, and you draw the line for you.  I'm just
trying to understand the attraction of a modification that I'd never
make, nor buy.

> I have a 68-74 BMH body shell. I have to build something on it. I
> believe I will have an authentic '68 Canadian spec MKII when I'm done --
> Oooppps except for the Moss Supercharger -- now I will agree with you
> there, that is a bastardization -- don't you agree? :-)

No, not really.  You can put it on and take it off.  You don't have
to cut up the engine compartment to install it.  Now, if it came with
a shaker hood scoop and side pipes, you can probably guess where
I'd come down.  :-)

> I think it's really a question of whether you like the pillow dash or
> not. Lots of people like the metal dash. For some reason the MKII's in
> England and Europe had the metal dash into the early 70's. Wonder why....

I'm sure a lot of it had to do with resentment of the US government
meddling in the design of cars.  Also a hopeful, if untimately
misguided belief that the meddling would at some point end, or at
least not be so parasitic as to dictate the very core of the
design of the vehicle.  If they could keep the regulators a bay
with a few bolt-on additions, that's fine.  Little did they know...

--
David Breneman
Distributed Systems Software Analyst

DHL/Airborne Express
3101 Western Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121

Phone:  +1-206-830-4253
Fax:    +1-206-830-4432

david.breneman@dhl.com

(This .sig is greater than 4 lines as mandated by company policy.)