Re: MGB Metal dash question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Metal dash question
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:33:05 -0800 (PST)
Paul M. SEZ -

> Ah, David.  Then you are that most rare of birds - a
> true MG purist.  Godspeed.  That sort of "concours"
> mentality is certainly one facet of MG enthusiasm, but
> by no means the only one.

I don't go that far.  My MGA has an 1800 engine in it.  It
came that way from the PO, and I've left it for the time
being, since the original engine is lost, and I can always
drop a 1500 into it at a later time.  But one of the things
I like best about old equipment is the ability to experience
it the way it would have been experienced new.  Modifying a
classic car to the extent that it no longer is a classic
car, but a custom car, is a practice that I'm just not skookum
with.  But, like we've both said, to each his own.

>                                              Having
> you tacitly refer to our cars as kludgy b*st*rds is
> somewhat offensive.

I didn't say the cars were b*st*rds (gotta be mindful of
our email system's "appropriate business language" filter)
I said that they were b*st*rdized, meaning, according
to Webster's, "To reduce from a higher to a lower state
or condition."  :-)  :-)  :-)

> Why not just live and let live?  Why are you picking a
> fight?  If you don't want to convert your dashboard,
> then DON'T.  But just do me a favor and keep your
> fingers away from the keyboard when the rest of us are
> discussing it.

So what's wrong with a little spirited discussion?  I knew I'd
get taken to task for questioning the desirability of such
a modification.  But that doesn't mean that such a discussion
is engaged in spitefully from either side.  I really wanted to
know what motivates folks to make modifications like this, that's
all.  It seems to be very relevant to the discussion.

> Learn the truth at www.misleader.org

Hey, doesn't one of those road signs in the banner refer
to Ted Kennedy?  :-)

--
David Breneman