Re: alternator

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: alternator
From: "Paul Hunt \(T\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:53:23 -0000
Not sure what you mean.  If whatever you are using to give a boost start
delivers a very high voltage then it could possibly blow the diodes, but it
would have to be many tens of volts, possibly over 100v.  The fact that your
boost device is capable of delivering 125 amps if the starter should demand
it is immaterial to the alternator.  That current flows through the starter,
not the alternator.  However connecting the boost source the wrong way
round, even momentarily, *is* likely to blow the diodes, though.

PaulH.