RE: Hardened Valve Seats

To: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>,
Subject: RE: Hardened Valve Seats
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 11:28:17 US/Mountain
Ok, I realize that I'mgoingt obe the anomoly here, but here goes.  I have
a '58 MGA.  It has a 3 main B motor, and a 1500 head.  When I bought it,
it had been driven occaisionally, but not a lot since a restoration a few
years prior.  I drive it regualrly 9 months of the year, the other three
it is well stored (in a fairly warm garage).  A year after I bought it,
the valves had pounded the seats so much I couldn't adjust them adequately
anymore.  I had hardened seats put in, and all is well. So - my experience
is that if you drive the car you can pound the seats just as well.  I do
realize that it's an odd configuration engine, and there were several
years the car wasn't driven regularly, but I'd say with unleaded, hardened
seats are needed sooner or later.  If you have the money and have the head
in for other work, it is certainly worth doing, and there really aren't
any detrimental effects unless you get a lousy shop that doesn't do the
work properly.

Phil Bates
'67 MGB with hardened valve seats
'58 MGA with hardened valve seats