Re: Hardened Valve Seats

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hardened Valve Seats
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:40:18 -0600
Rick Lindsay wrote:

 >> I still put a lead additive in with each fill
 >> up.
 >

 > Dave, et al., I have had old cars (British and
 > other) for years and have never used additives OR
 > worried about valve seats.  My general opinion
 > is; Drive it as is, using the highest octane fuel
 > available if it is a high compression engine (as
 > that is what the additives help with mostly)
 > until a problem develops -- which for me, it
 > never has.  At that point, if it did damage a
 > valve, you can bet that the whole engine could
 > benefit from a valve job.  That will let you
 > drive now and if you have to service it, you THEN
 > install new valve seats, new valve guides and
 > replace valves where needed, when needed. ALL of
 > that work is cheap -- especially compared to the
 > headaches of additives and replaced seats for
 > fear of damage.
 >
 > Just my two-cents.

I have two more to match yours.

I've built a number of Mini engines in the last seven years; none of
them had hardened seats; none of them has showed any sign of recession,
even though they were driven as daily transport and often did long
distances at high rpm on the highway, including one round trip from
Tulsa to St. Louis and back (800 miles, altogether) in the summer at 75
to 80 mph in 115 degree f. temps. I've come to the opinion that seat
recession is not nearly the potential problem it's often made out to be.
I'm waiting for evidence that the clearances are changing markedly, at
which point I plan to do the seats and guides.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
JJ Cale Live CD and video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Wednesday Night Science Project: http://www.wednitesciproj.us