Re: MGB Replacement gas tank

To: "Howard Battan" <battanhr@comcast.net>, "'mg'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Replacement gas tank
From: "Paul Hunt \(T\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:37:15 -0000
A waxy, oily substance, made by Finnigans, from lots of places, like this
Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=waxoyl+supplier

Actually it contains white spirit not oil and as such does not harm rubber.
It is semi-thixotropic which means when the liquid is sprayed onto a panel
using the fine spray rather than the jet it mostly sticks instead of simply
running down like plain oil would.  As well as tins of the stuff for
brushing you can get starter kits containing a pressure can and pump, hose
and gun, and a long nozzle for the gun for box sections.  If it is
overthinned or sprayed on hot panels i.e. under desert sun it *will* run off
more, and conversely if sprayed on a cold day, even if the can is standing
in a bucket of hot water, will probably semi-solidify in the tube and only
dribble out of the gun.  It is also good for lubricating rubber bushes
during assembly, and any metal to metal components to ensure they come apart
again in another 30 years time.

Finnigans make an underbody version, called 'Finnigans underbody seal with
added Waxoyl' funnily enough, which resists abrasion better in wheel arches
and underneath, but still stays flexible and doesn't crack like rubber
underseal.