Re: Car Alarms (Was: RE: TD Cowl Mirror Screws)

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car Alarms (Was: RE: TD Cowl Mirror Screws)
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:38:22 -0600
Paul M. wrote:
> --- David Breneman <DAVID.BRENEMAN@dhl.com> wrote:
>

>>Of course, I have to admit I'm prejudiced against
>>car alarms.
>

> Me too.  And it's a prejudice rooted in reality.  I
> watched a show on one of the Discovery-style networks
> on car theives, and they were interviewing these guys
> and giving them challenges on how to disarm car alarms
> and so forth.
>
> The interviewer says: "Well, you got that alarm
> disarmed pretty quickly, but the siren was sounding
> for at least ten seconds before you shut it off.
> Wouldn't that get you caught?"
>
> The guy answered: "No way.  If you're dressed decently
> and clean shaven and you look like you BELONG next to
> that car, then when the alarm goes off you just shake
> your head sheepishly and look embarassed and no one
> will give you a second look.  People are so
> conditioned to ignore car alarms - especially in
> perfect-theft places like parking garages and city
> streets - that the siren is totally useless.  Sure, we
> could spend more time and get in without setting it
> off, but that would be a waste of time.  No one cares
> if the alarm goes off.  Not even parking lot security
> guards."
>
> Which about sums up MY experience.

My car alarm sends me a signal to a unit on my belt; it does not sound
any alarm on the car. It's activated by anybody opening a door or
window, the bonnet or boot, or turning the key. I carry a loaded .38
Special revolver in my pocket (I have all the requisite licenses) and I
know how to hit the target.

You DON'T want to mess with my car(s).

Even if the alarm doesn't work, if you can hotwire the ignition, you can
drive as far as the fuel in the float bowl will take you, since you
don't know where the hidden switch for the fuel-pump is located. That's
just about far enough to get the car out onto the street and into
traffic, where it stalls. This way you are likely to run away instead of
staying and beating the hell out of the car, since you are now blocking
the road and people are watching you.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
JJ Cale Live CD and video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm