Re: Carb & Trans Oil Questions

To: "Christian, Skip" <wellner.christian@navy.mil>,
Subject: Re: Carb & Trans Oil Questions
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 10:14:31 +0100
Whilst an air leak into the inlet manifold *will* cause the revs to rise
compared with when there is no air leak, this should always be able to
'tuned out' by adjusting the idle screws.  If it can't something is allowing
fuel from the jet to reach the cylinders, usually by maladjustment of one of
the things I mentioned before i.e. butterfly, interconnecting rod clamps,
throttle cable etc.  Would that they could but our engines cannot run on air
alone :o)  It is possible that worn bushes/spindles may be allowing mixture
to be pulled past the butterfly through the wear in the bushes even though
the butterfly is fully closed, in which case sealing just the outer ends of
the shafts will not help, you would have to force the grease right through
to the other side, and it would have to stay there under running conditions.
Given that there is about 18 in Hg of vacuum on the cylinder side that is
asking quite a lot.