Cam Recommendation for MGB

To: MG Mail List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cam Recommendation for MGB
From: John Di Fede <difejo@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:28:21 -0700
Hello all;

I am usually lurking in the background, but I need some advice from the members
of the list.

I am currently rebuilding my 1973 MGB engine and would like some advice
regarding upgraded cam choices and any recommendations or personal experience
with a particular cam.

I am considering using Kent fast road cam #715.  Does anyone have any
experience, positive or negative with this cam?  How is the idle quality,
around town driveability, low end and top end power, torque, gas mileage, etc.?

I will be installing this cam into a MGB engine with a +.020 overbore and a
ported cylinder head with 1.625 inlet valves, peco exhaust, K&N filters and
HIF carbs (but I have a Weber 45 DCOE and cannon manifold sitting on a shelf in
my garage)

The cam that I have and am replacing is the Crane cam sold by Moss in the US.
The Crane cam worked well, but I found myself wanting more power at top end.  I
am hesitant to re-use this cam since when I removed it I found two damaged
lifters (caused by sticking valves) and I suspect some damage was also done to
the cam lobes.

The Kent cam #715 has a good recommendation from Peter Burgess in his Power
Tuning MGB book.

Any and all suggestions and insight will be gratefully appreciated.

John Di Fede
difejo@optonline.net
1973 MGB