Re: Cam Recommendation for MGB

To: John Di Fede <difejo@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Cam Recommendation for MGB
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:33:16 -0700
John Di Fede wrote:

> I am considering using Kent fast road cam #715.  Does anyone have any
> experience, positive or negative with this cam?  How is the idle
> quality, around town driveability, low end and top end power, torque,
> gas mileage, etc.?
>
> I will be installing this cam into a MGB engine with a +.020 overbore
> and a ported cylinder head with 1.625 inlet valves, peco exhaust, K&N
> filters and  HIF carbs (but I have a Weber 45 DCOE and cannon
> manifold sitting on a shelf in my garage)

        I have this cam in my MGB with exactly the same overbore. I'm running
stock cylinder head (with hardened valve seats), SU's, and stock exaust
system.

        Overall, it's been a very satisfactory mod. Freeway mileage improved
dramatically. It's really happy right at cruising speed in 4th gear.
Idle is just a tad rougher than stock, but still good. I'm pretty sure
my engine would benefit from a better head, and particularly a better
exaust system.

        Cheers,
        Dave Ambrose