Re: Fw: Cam Recommendation for MGB

To: John Di Fede <difejo@optonline.net>, MG Mail List
Subject: Re: Fw: Cam Recommendation for MGB
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:07:20 -0600
I had to look up my old notes on this because I posted a similar query to
the list two years ago. Some research and information from other listers
like Barney showed me that the subject of cam selections was quite complex.
For one, if you go with too high a lift on the cam, you will also have to
upgrade your valve springs to take advantage of power past 6000 rpm. Plus,
you may need to index the cam timing. These requirements come into play at
or around the 270 cam point I think (although I am far from an expert on
the subject).

 From my query, I found another lister had gotten a mild street cam from
Lawrie (also on the list). I ended up also going that route because -
1. Lawrie is on the list
2. The price was right
3. Lawrie was also very helpful in providing personal technical advice on
setting up the cam.

It is a 265 degree cam with  .283 lobe height and 108 degrees lobe center.
Actually it was a regrind so I sent him my old one in exchange. It looks
like it is very similar to Piper's BP255 with a power increase of  8 bhp.
Power band is 1000-6000 rpms.

I had attempted to go with a fast road cam in my 71BGT many years ago but
the Isky cam failed in less than 10k miles so I had to put a stock one in.
So I was a bit paranoid from that experience. However, in that case, I
never really noticed any performance gain before the lobe failure.

So far, this cam has worked out well. Its still early as I only have about
800 miles on the engine with this mild road cam and +.060 pistons. But its
quite peppy, even though it won't  blow the doors off any of these modern
rice rockets. I'm not sure what the compression ratio is but it is at least
9:1, maybe more. The pistons were not dished like the low compression ones
but still had a slight depression. How else can I determine the compression
ratio? I bought them from mechspec in the UK.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B