Re: Cam Recommendation for MGB

To: MG Mail List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cam Recommendation for MGB
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:27:31 -0700 (PDT)
--- John Di Fede <difejo@optonline.net> wrote:
> I am currently rebuilding my 1973 MGB engine and
> would like some advice regarding upgraded cam
> choices

On a similar note, I'm getting ready to rebuild my
1971 MGB engine, and I need some cam help as well.
The only difference is that I'm looking for people who
have installed more aggressive camshafts in their
street-driven MGBs...

My car is going to continue to get occasional street
use, so it needs to be driveable, but I am far less
concerned with low-RPM torque than I am midrange and
top-end power.   The cam will be going into an engine
that is bored .040" over, around 9:1 compression.  The
head is ported and polished and will have roller
rockers and slightly oversized valves.  The carbs are
twin 1.75" SUs, with a Peco header and exhaust, and a
lightweight flywheel.

I want the car to pull as hard as possible in the
midrange.  I won't rev it much past 6200 RPM anyway,
so top end is slightly less important, but definitely
more important than low-rev performance.

That said, I am not interested ins something that
doesn't idle, or stumbles and bucks at low-RPM.
Victoria British lists three Kent grinds, and I am
sort of considering the "Road Speed" grind, but am
also curious if anyone has used the "High Speed"
grind.  Or something else?

Thanks in advance,

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com