Re: What oil level is right?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What oil level is right?
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 02:23:46 +1030
Max Heim wrote:

> Bob, it sounds like you might not have let the engine entirely warm up,
> since you didn't actually drive anywhere. But a fraction above the line
> isn't going to hurt anything. Don't worry -- it will be down soon enough.
> <g>

I found I was able to push the dipstick down further than I should!  It
sits nicely in place normally but lately I would give it a little extra
push to make it seat more firmly... pity I found I was then UNDER
filling the oil down to almost the MINIMUM level (and so it wouldn't
take too much hard driving to have the oil drop below that).  I even
have a little EXTRA mark now ABOVE the MAX line that I fill to before
pushing it hard around the racetrack.

Yep, if you think you have over-filled just let it sit for a few days
and let the extra oil leak out on the floor of the garage - this used to
not even be funny with my old engine and I used to park over a drip-tray
full of kitty litter.  These days it just keeps the underside of the car
rustproofed and doesn't seem to drip much further.

A hint for the competition types - the scrutineers always tell me they
hate looking at dirty engines and if they have to reach into the engine
bay and get themselves dirty theyoften given the car some EXTRA
attention... a quick clean before heading to the track can be a good
thing :-)

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII