RE: Alternatives to de-smogging - diesel

To: "Stephen West-Fisher" <steve@coastaldatasystems.com>,
Subject: RE: Alternatives to de-smogging - diesel
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:49:09 -0600
Yes, these figures are quite realistic. I owned a VW Rabbit diesel in the
late 80s and it typically ran in the mid to high 40's. It even got over 50
mpg on one 450 mile trip to Glacier National Park but that was its best.
The only problems were it didn't climb hills well (bogged down with a
smokey exhaust) and it didn't start in the winter unless its water heater
was plugged in to the nearest electrical outlet overnight. Plus the fuel
gelled on me a couple of times when the temps dropped under 20 below.
Otherwise, a very nice economical car.

Ironically, I usually only drove it to work when it was really cold out.
Otherwise, my 71BGT was my daily driver and back then I had a 52 mile one
way commute to work. But when it got really cold out, a little heat was
always nice to have.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B