Re: Alternatives to de-smogging - diesel

To: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: Alternatives to de-smogging - diesel
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:48:47 -0600
Well, I would think that if my 80s diesel VW Rabbit typically ran in the
high 40s, these new fangled diesels should get at least that and even a wee
bit more due to advances in technology. Thus I would believe mpg figures in
the 50s by other posters for the Jetta TDI. But then I'm an old geezer who
prefers to drive vehicles that are at minimum a decade old or more so what
do I know? The 80s was a dismal decade for cars in general but with the
advent of fuel injection, cars made great strides in the 90s in terms of
power, reliability, and fuel economy (at least petrol models).

Even now, I'm quite pleased my 92 Ford Explorer can get between 18-20 mpg,
and thus it has taken over some of the driving I would have done with my 74
Toyota Landcruiser (12 mpg highway, much lower in town). And since my wife
has commented on more than one occasion about the number of vehicles we
have, I have thought about selling both the Explorer and the Landcruiser
and replacing them with one vehicle that could perform the tasks of both.
The comfort and gas economy of the Explorer and the
ruggedness/durability/coolness of the Landcruiser. (side note - the
Landcruiser is a soft top so it was also my summer convertible - but  the
72B took that function over for the most part).

So to venture more into the OT waters - would a BBC fit the bill? I'm
thinking maybe a 70-80s vintage Land Rover. If it was one of the older ones
with RHD, that would really be neat. Then I can have something a bit more
"twee" perhaps. Any Rover owners out there who could give their opinions?
Big British cars, thats not too off topic is it?

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B
74 Toyota Landcruiser
92 Ford Explorer
and:
2001 Ford Windstar  (wife's)
1993 Ford Escort (daughter's)
1991 Cevy S10 (son's)
1965 B (son's, stripped to body shell currently)