RE: Re: Steering Wheel Removal

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Steering Wheel Removal
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:54:10 -0400
Donny, I'm not picking on you here, but your post made me think of this.
Hopefully it is of some value to someone here.

The application of heat can cause more problems than it solves if done
incorrectly.  Basically you get one chance with heat.  Heat will make the
part expand so heat the hub not the column, to expand it off of the column.
You want to work quickly because if the column heats up it will expand and
lock the parts together again.  If you don't get it in one application of
heat then you really should cool everything down before trying again,
because too much heat will soak into the column and defeat the purpose.
This is to say nothing of all the flammable bits nearby.  Propane is a good
medium because it is not too hot.  Make sure you do all the heating at once
and heat all the way around the part before you start beating on it.  Most
of the time I use oxy-acetylene with a rosebud or cutting tip, be careful
here though because temps are much higher and do melt metals.  A dull cherry
red is usually the maximum as you get a good mix of expansion without too
much softening.

If you do manage to get everything too hot, either by repeated heatings
without cool down or through overheating, and the parts don't separate there
is a good chance of them completely welding themselves together and then you
will have to cut them apart.  The hammering, especially, aids in welding
them together as it is very similar to the process of hammer welding.  This
is why you want this to work first time.

This goes for any two metal parts you are trying to separate.  Yes there are
other metallurgical concerns here but they are rarely a factor.

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8
71 MGB Tourer