Re: Steering Wheel Removal

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <frankk@intap.net>, <leylandauto@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal
From: "Don Vierling" <Don.Vierling@stago-us.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:30:04 -0400
Carl,
That sound's like a good method...as long as you don't break something
with the BFH.  What about the careful application of some heat to the
steering column?

BTW - See you in Parsippany! (Parsippany = a Native American word of
unknown meaning.)

Donny V
78 MGB

>>> Carl French <leylandauto@yahoo.com> 6/21/2004 2:04:08 PM >>>

Frank, I know this works on the earlier wheels but not sure on the
newer ones. The method I have always used is to sit in the car and get
your knees behind the wheel so they can apply upward pressure (towards
you). Then one takes a BFH and strikes the head of the shaft 'smartly'.
In each case this has had the desired effect for me. For some the effect
has been Very Pronounced and you should be aware that it can come
towards you quickly. In the case of your car I would guess this would
not be so. I hope I have not misread your post and this helps you.
Coming to Parsippany??? ( I can actually spell that word now :-)
Carl French

Frank Krajewski <frankk@intap.net> wrote:

I know this subject has been beat to death on here but as usual I
didn't pay
much attention as I didn't have the problem. Now I am faced with
attempting
to remove a very stubborn wheel on my 1980 MGB LE.