Re: Steering Wheel for '66B

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel for '66B
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 11:56:10 -0700
I doesn't surprise me that the banjo wheels are prone to breakage -- just
look at them. Over half the rim (moreover, the half you are most likely to
be gripping) is unsupported, and any fore-and-aft force applied to it is
translated into twisting of the narrow, flexible spokes.

A PO replaced mine with an unusual wood-rim wheel, with three equally-spaced
slotted spokes (I say unusual in that I have never seen another one on a B).
This type is correctly installed with the center spoke aiming upwards -- in
this way the spokes don't block the view of the gauges. It is also much more
resistant to flexing than the more usual varieties of aftermarket wheels.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149