Re: Steering Wheel for '66B

To: David Macedonia <david.macedonia@verizon.net>,
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel for '66B
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 08:03:08 -0700 (PDT)
--- David Macedonia wrote:
> The steering wheel in my '66B is beyond restoration.
> Should I go repro or original?

My concern with the used ones is that they could have
damage or cracks in the bakelite around where the
spokes attach.  That can make it a real bear to
repair.  Unless the seller of the used one sounds
really, really knowledgable about the condition, I
would be a little nervous.

To my knowledge, there is nothing fundamentally wrong
with the repro units.  A little pricey perhaps, but no
more so that any other MGB steering wheel.  And at
least you'll know that it's 100% good to go and looks
all pretty.  For the difference in price of around
$100, I 'd probably lean toward getting the repro.
You could spend a ton of time polishing and repairing
and sweating over an old used one, and my gut feeling
is that you'd eat up a hundred bucks worth of your
time pretty darn quickly.

Just my $0.02...

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com