Re: Are my tyres too old?

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>, <match@ece.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: Are my tyres too old?
From: "DON SCOTT" <rowdon@sonoma-county.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:22:56 -0700
So, does anyone on the list know what to expect for tire
life expectancy?  Do tires vary by manufacturer and quality
of tire?  Do tires break down at varying rates depending on
exposure to sun or the elements?  Is there a date stamp on
tires so that you can find out just how old they are?

There must be a lot of collector cars that are being driven
on dangerous tires that look just fine based on tread
remaining.  My TR8 with 16,000 miles, had the original tires
on it when I bought it four years ago.  The tires looked
fine, except that one of them had developed a bubble in the
sidewall.  I replaced the tires and I guess that was the
right thing to do.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: