Re: Brake Proportioning Valve

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Brake Proportioning Valve
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:00:43 -0500
   There might be something to that if the rear brakes are dragging.  I
just replaced my tandem brake master cylinder with a rebuilt from Apple.
  There is a little plastic thingy, that I took to be a check valve,
inside each outlet fitting.  (I just checked the manual; the Brits call
them blocking valves.)  Anyway, they're in there.  Don't know if it
makes any difference since both disc and drum brakes have one.

   Cheers,

     CR

Max Heim wrote:
> Since you are still struggling with this issue, let me make a suggestion.
> This may or may not be relevant to this particular car, but if it is, it
> will stymie all of your other attempted solutions.
>
> Many drum brake systems include a residual pressure valve at the master
> cylinder (usually hidden inside the housing at the outlet connection). The
> purpose of this simple valve is to maintain a small amount of pressure in
> the line at all times, to prevent the return springs from pulling the shoes
> too far back from the drum, which would slow braking action and stress the
> wheel cylinder seals.
>
> If you replace the drum system with a disc system using this same master
> cylinder, the residual pressure valve will cause locking of the disc brakes.
>
> I actually don't know if this is a feature of the MGB dual master cylinder.
> But given your problems, I think it behooves you to find out.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: