Re: Roundabouts

To: "David Breneman" <david_breneman@yahoo.com>, "mgs"
Subject: Re: Roundabouts
From: "Dave Wood" <dwood143@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 22:27:03 -0800
David,

I've lived here in Oregon since 1960 and I haven't figured it out either.
Although service in 1960 meant checking oil, tires and cleaning the glass,
now it just means taking your money and going to the next in line.  We have
been getting some roundabouts here also (Lake Oswego, Oregon) in the past
few years.  Most are single lane circles that replace the four way stops and
seem to work pretty well despite my misgivings about them.  The only one
that still has me scratching my head is one that replaced a three way stop
intersection by the Hunt Club.  Its a small circle and those going to the
Hunt club can't navigate the narrow circle with a horse trailer so must come
from the opposite direction.  I think it was an accident prone intersection
so this was the solution and the horse trailers can fend for themselves.  I
lived in the D.C. area prior to 1960 and the circles there used to be pretty
scary for a kid driver that I was back then.  I can't imagine the traffic
problems there now.

Dave 72 B