Re: Totally OT venting...

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Re: Totally OT venting...
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:24:55 -0600
Max Heim wrote:
> I mentioned I put new tires on my wife's Geo. Well, today we dropped it off
> at the dealer because the engine check light had come on. Now they're
> telling me it needs a new computer -- the price of which part is $1182!!!
> Brand new, the whole car only cost about $9000. Ludicrous, in proportion,
> and more so considering that you could buy a hatful of Pentiums for that
> kind of money, and I'm sure whatever CPU Suzuki was using in 1995 was more
> on the order of a 386.

Probably more like a 8086. Those things don't need a lot of CPU power.
The SpaceShuttle doesn't even have/need 386 power. Not reliable enough
technology. But then they'd be custom ASICs. Mostly it's the programming
that's in the eprom that's the cost.

> To be fair, the service manager is now looking for aftermarket or used parts
> -- he realizes it is ridiculous to expect someone to put a $1200 part into a
> $1500 car. The screwy thing is, it was driving fine -- I should have just
> ignored the light, I guess. But how was I to know?

Should be plenty in a junk yard for $100.

> This episode is just reinforcing my personal choice to keep to 1960's
> transportation technology. At least I'm callng it a conscious
> decision....<g>.

I prefer the modern stuff when the high tomorrow is going to be -4F.

Then it gets cold on Saturday. Fortunately, we're going to the "Deep
South", as we call it. Kenosha, Wi and Chicago. Going to "Spamalot",
Sunday night! I'm hopelessly adicted to "odd" British stuff. :-)

Paul.