Re: Totally OT venting...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Totally OT venting...
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:22:34 -0600
Councill, David wrote:

> I have only bought one brand new car in my life - a Geo Prism (1992?). And
> with it, I actually spent more money on the GM "bumper to bumper warranty." As
> it turned out, there was a defect that caused the car to surge, particularly
> at low speeds. The dealer and GM refused to fix it because so long as the car
> got us from "point a to point b" (their quote), there was nothing really wrong
> with it because it got the job done (another indicator of the GM philsophy of
> crappy engineered cars). So I had to go through Better Business Bureau to
> force them to fix it which they did by replacing the computer, at a cost then
> of about $750. They eventually found out the problem was with the throttle
> position sensor which had to be replaced every 12000 miles - and each time I
> had to argue and force them to honor the bumper to bumper warranty.
>
> I will never buy a GM product again. Sure the Geo was actually a Toyota and
> for the most part, it was a fine car. But the GM service was evasive and poor.
> Lately, I have bought a few Fords but I have returned to my old philosophy to
> always buy used and let someone else pay the depreciation and debugging. But I
> am still seriously pondering replacing my faithful Ford Explorer with
> something a bit classier like a Rover of some kind....

I save about $2000 per year by having classic insurance on the Victor
TF, Mini Cooper S, MGA and Mini Convertible. The thing that allows this
is that I bought a 1991 Dodge Shadow along with an identical parts car
from a friend for $500 three years ago. The classic insurance I got
requires that I have a non-classic car less than 15 years old as a
"daily driver."

The old Dodge has working AC and heater and only requires oil, gas and
coolant to work dependably. It starts in the coldest weather. I started
out despising the car, but have come to respect it and its
dependability. The only things I have had to replace have been the temp
sensor (got one off the parts car) and a water pump (bought from parts
store). I would consider having another Dodge some day.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/
The World's Best Daily News Service: http://www.rationalreview.com/